Employees need to take in a continuous stream of information and updates, learn new things, perform consistently and relate with their peers and customers towards common goals. As important as it is to “get the work done”, employees are human beings, not machines. And as such, they also need to connect with other people, feel appreciated and understood, take breaks to re-energize themselves, be able to think outside the box to collaborate at higher levels, and maybe even let off a little steam now and then.
Some combination of these ultimately factors into the success of an organization. We need to find a good balance between work productivity and the ability to enjoy a work environment that nurtures morale at the same time.
One of the keys that can help accomplish this is humor–and cartoons are a perfect way to get started. You can also employ the same strategy with your business partners and customers who will love you, and remember you, all the more!
We love to laugh because it makes us feel good. Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural painkillers, and produces a general sense of well-being. We like to see ourselves, or someone we know, perhaps a co-worker, manager or competitor in a cartoon. Why? Because we relate to it or it gives us an emotional charge. We may think, “I get it, that’s my life!” or “I never looked at it that way before!”, capturing our attention in a thought-provoking way.
Here are 10 ways you can begin using cartoons in your workplace (or with your customers) and just watch those endorphins do their thing:
- Websites, Intranets & Blogs – Cartoons are ideal for online communications. They command attention, add vitality to any message; and, solicit responses and calls to action in just a small amount of online real estate!
- Newsletters, Announcements & Memos – Cartoons get noticed, period. If you want your employees to remember important information or to get involved, cartoons are perfect for memory recall, or just for fun! 4anime
- Employee Gathering Places – Post cartoons in conference, meeting or break rooms, hallways, the cafeteria, gym, locker area or any of the places where employees regularly gather.
- Business & Sales Presentations – Who passes up a cartoon to get to statistics? Umm, nobody.
- Manuals & Handouts – Cartoons can only add flavor to business manuals and handouts. Use them to underscore important points and add life to an otherwise lifeless collection of straight data.
- HR, Safety & Instructional Postings – People often overlook HR, safety and instructional postings or warnings because they are boring. Change that by choosing a cartoon to liven up your topic and get your point across while simultaneously sticking in peoples’ minds.
- Awards & Recognition – Have fun with employee, partner or team recognition by using targeted humor to make a splash.
- Product Launches & Team Projects – Everyone needs to be on board when there’s a product launch or an important team project. Cut through all the busy-ness with a cartoon that announces, highlights an aspect of, or rallies the troops by relating to the subject with customized humor.